- Because the Sarod originated from the Afghan Rubab.
- Because Kabuliwala is one of the best stories penned by Tagore.
- Because Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Dileep Kumar, Sanjay Khan and Fardeen Khan are all born in Afghan immigrant families.
- Because stalwart musician families such as those of Ustad Amjad Ali Khan have come from Afghanistan.
- Because Afghans have helped Netaji Subash Chandra Bose in his escape from the British, and in raising the Indian National Army.
- Because sculptures in Hindu temples owe to the Gandhara tradition of Afghans.
- Because Sher Shah Suri, the great reformer of India's administration, was an Afghan.
- Because Maulana Abul Kalaam Azad, who ended communal electorates and shaped India's secularism, was born in an Afghan immigrant family.
- Because the Pathan brothers are the pride of India's cricket team.
- Because Bacha Khan was a most loyal friend, and a brother in spirit, of Mahatma Gandhi.
There is a large amount of apathy amongst educated Indians about what's going on in Afghanistan and in the Pashtun provinces of Pakistan. Many people look upon this conflict in communal terms, as a problem of Islamists, which is very unfortunate. Innocent people are being murdered here by the fundamentalist Taliban, or by the Pakistani or American armies. Journalists, secular politicians and educated people are specifically being targeted. Afghan people are trapped in a nefarious network of religious extremists, drug mafia and geopolitical actors.
Whatever aspirations that Afghans have about peace, democracy or prosperity are being crushed under the weight of this misfortune. Indians need to be aware of this problem, and should stand in solidarity with the Afghan people.